Our Centers of Excellence and Special Initiatives make direct and lasting impacts in the local community, state, and nation and provide important research that guides the advancement of education. Many of our initiatives focus on the issues at home in Mississippi, because we know that what we accomplish in Mississippi is a model for the nation and the world.
For example, we know that children who enter school prepared need fewer special education services. They also have more positive attitudes toward school, a greater likelihood of graduating high school and greater potential for securing meaningful employment later in life. However, two thirds of Mississippi children are considered unprepared to enter kindergarten which can create a ripple effect of negative outcomes.
Your support can strengthen programs that address today’s early childhood education needs and create new solutions for setting tomorrow’s students on a path to success including:
- Growing Healthy Minds, Bodies, and Communities, founded in 2018, brings innovative and integrated curriculum, community outreach and engagement, and parental involvement to North MS and Sunflower County. To date, help 700+ preschool children have prepared for school and improved their overall well-being (social, emotional, physical, intellectual).
- Willie Price Lab School, a national model for innovation pre-school education, provides an important service to the surrounding community and a real-life laboratory for our students and faculty in the School of Education and across the campus. Support is needed to move the School to the South Oxford Campus to ignite the power of collaboration with other campus programs such as nutrition and speech pathology; add more modern facilities that encourage wellness and learning; give all children in the region with special needs access to the school; and create one of the happiest places on campus. Additional support could help replicate the Lab School at other locations such as the University of Mississippi Medical Center.
Now and Ever: The Campaign for Ole Miss will also build a stronger pipeline of educators and counselors for children with special needs, expand our expertise in literacy instruction, and improve math and science education. With your support for professorships, graduate assistants, stipends and scholarships we will grow degree programs and centers including:
- Applied Behavior Analysis
- Counselor Education Clinic
- Center for Excellence in Literacy Instruction
- Center for Math and Science Education